Everyone has a story to tell.
Most – if not all of us –
could use a little help.
As an award-winning author, I’ve presented writing workshops for various professional organizations, schools and festivals throughout the country. As an active member of SCBWI and a Critique Ninja for Julie Hedlund’s 12x12 Picture Book Challenge for the past five years, I’ve critiqued hundreds of manuscripts, many of which have led to publication. I've also served as a trusted reader for Flashlight Press.
Isn’t it time I took a look at your story?
Investment: $99 for each picture book manuscript ($49 for a second look at the same story.) Manuscripts must be less than 1000 words. Please contact me for availability and/or questions.
From defining – and refining – overall story concepts to identifying an ‘excess’ word, a professional critique can take your picture book manuscript to the next level.
Here’s what I address:
* Story focus, theme and arc (do you have a strong hook, a solid middle and satisfying ending?)
* Character development, dimension and arc (does your character change/grow?)
* Tension: both in plot and emotion (why should readers care to turn the page?)
* Target audience (does this have child appeal?)
* Showing vs telling
* Illustration potential vs ‘overstepping’ your mission
* Empowering your words (including the woes of ‘was’: passive voice or wimpy verb?)
* Unclear or awkward wording
* Dialogue (and tags)
*Grammar, point of view and tense consistency
* Overall impressions and line edits where needed
* Suggestions for solutions and tightening